When writing journal articles, research reports, grant applications, your CV, or a summary of your research interests for your personal webpage, are you really taking into account the audience that you are writing for? Before you start writing, ask yourself these questions:
1. Who exactly will be reading this?
2. What exactly will the reader be interested in?
2. Am I writing for experts in my own field, or for a wider audience?
3. Are there authors’ instructions (for articles) that should be followed?
4. Are there guidelines (for grant applications) that should be followed?
Of course, anything you write needs to keep the reader’s interests and be written with clarity, flow and consistency and in a uniform tone of voice.